I’ve been trying to figure out what to get my wife for Christmas when one day it hit me. I walked into the bathroom while she was doing her hair and markup and saw her sitting in the sink. Literally, sitting in the sink! If you can picture that. Not like I haven’t seen this before, but at that moment I new what I was going to
get build her, a vanity!
This vanity needed to not only look good but be functional and hide all of her
crap supplies. I decided to go with a flip top design so it could double as a desk when not used as a vanity. I think the design I came up with accomplishes just that. Too bad it’s not going to be a surprise now but honestly how was I going to surprise her with anything I was building anyway. Here goes nothing. Enjoy.
Oh and the bench in the photos, we’ve got plans for that.
For sneak peeks of our upcoming projects be sure to follow me on Facebook and Instagram. Also, follow me on Pinterest to get tons of projects plans from all around the web!
Time to Complete
- 1/2 Sheet of 3/4″ Plywood
- 1/2 of a 1/4″ thick Project Panel
- Qty 2 – 2 x 2 x 96″
- Qty 2 – 1 x 6 x 6′
- Qty 2 – 1 x 4 x 6′
- Qty 2 – 1 x 2 x 8′
- 2-1/2″ Kreg Pocket Hole Screws (Coarse)
- 1-1/4″ Kreg Pocket Hole Screws (Coarse)
- 1-1/4″ Brad Nails
- 1-1/4″ Wood Screws
- Wood Glue
- Mirror Adhesive or Mirror Clips
- Qty 2 – 18″ Drawer Slides
- Qty 2 – Knob/Pull
- Lid Support
Disclosure: The links provided in the “materials” and “required tools” sections are affiliate links. If you would like to support our site and help keep our content free come find out more about how we can make money with no extra cost to you.
After nailing the X brace on, we stained the inside of the vanity with american walnut stain by Varathane and sprayed the rest with Aged Grey Chalked paint from Rustoleum using the Finish Max Pro and Spray Shelter from HomeRight.
Drawer slides are installed and drawers mounted.
With the hole drilled for the knob I located the face evenly, and put a screw through the hole into the drawer. This keeps it in place so I can take it out and screw the front on from the inside. Another option is to use hot glue to stick it on temporarily. I’ve also nailed it on before but since mine was already painted I didn’t want to do that.
I don’t have a picture of the piano hinge but I installed it on the back of the vanity and bottom of the top. I probably should have glued the mirror before I attached the top but whatever. I did so with PL 530 Loctite.
I didn’t highlight the lid support that I used because it was more expensive and I really need one more on the other side. If I had to do it all over again I would use this lid support.
I will more than likely install some type of power strip or at the least a pass through as well as some hooks on the side for the hair dryer and straightener. Also, she says the mirror is big enough but if I find something that would cover the whole flip top then I’ll probably swap it out for her.
Hopefully you’ve enjoyed this project. I know my wife will. Happy Holidays.
As always, if you have any questions don’t hesitate to comment below and especially don’t forget to post pictures of your finished products in the comments! ENJOY!