If you have been following along with us on Facebook and Instagram then you’ve seen the demo that has been happening at our first flip house along with Facebook Live updates. If not you are missing out so go follow now! With out further ado I will get right into all the happenings
Don’t forget to check out the 360 before tour if you haven’t already!
The Tiny Kitchen
In the kitchen we ripped out all the cabinets, countertops, flooring and soffits. They were metal cabinets so they required the big hammer 😉
We also decided to knock out the wall that separated the dining room and kitchen to give it a more open feeling.
Dining & Living Rooms
The dining and living room flooring got removed along with the built-in bookcases. We also opened up this weird arch to help with that open feeling again.
The second bedroom on the main floor is fairly small. To make it worse the closet was absorbed by the bathroom (which it needed). So we framed out a new closet so we can technically call it a bedroom. It’s a small room but it would be perfect for a nursery or small child. On the plus side the removal of the carpet revealed beautiful hardwood floors!
In the main we pulled all the fixtures, plumbing, tub, the wall between the tub and the toilet, vanity, toilet and door frame. We also installed a pocket door frame which we intend to install one of the original doors on. We still have to decide how it will lock but I’m sure we will figure it out.
Master Bedroom / Closet
The master bedroom was in pretty good shape since it is a newer addition. The carpet was pulled and the ceiling fan will be swapped out. However, the master closet was pretty small. With the addition of the entryway, we figured we could make that the coat room and steal the existing coat closet to add to the master closet. There will be barn doors to cover the closet as well.
As for the master bathroom we pulled the shower, vanity, toilet, plumbing, floor, and.. well.. everything. (See a theme?) We also wanted to create more space so we knocked out the wall to the left of the door and framed out a bump out for the toilet to go.
Look what we found!
Original hardwood floors.. all over!!! (Except for the entryway and master bedroom) And we are determined to keep them all and bring them back to their former glory. The problem is that in most places they were covered in 2-3 layers of linoleum and the adhesive used to lay the flooring is incredibly tough to remove. We have a plan on how to remove it and when we do, we will put together a tutorial on how to do so.
While the two upstairs bedrooms are long and odd, they are still two bedrooms. New carpet and paint will help those a lot. I did pull the paneling off this closet and am finishing up framing it out properly. When done this will get lined with cedar and be great extra storage.
We pulled all the plumbing, carpet, washer, dryer, hot water heater, furnace, and will be rerouting some of the HVAC. We are having natural gas ran to the house and will be replacing the furnace with a gas furnace.
The Great Outdoors
So many things happened around the house. We started by tearing down the fence around the pool. Cutting up the fallen tree and removing it all.
Then, we busted up all the concrete around the pool and threw it in the pool to help fill it.
We removed the small addition on the side of the house. It was mainly the walls the came out. The gabled stays.
We cleaned out all the gutters which were way overgrown and blew the debris off the roof.
While the septic guys were here we had them pull this old fuel oil tank and remove it as well as abandon the old septic tank. Luckily there wasn’t anything in it and the ground was clear of any signs of leaking.
The biggest job was the new septic system. Two new tanks, one 1000 gallon and one 1500 gallon tank paired with a 1600 sq ft drain field that is 5-6 ft below ground. Basically the entire front yard is now our septic system… and it’s a good one!
The nice thing about the septic system going in is that there was plenty of sand to cover the pool with!